After a decade and a half of editing for publishers and individual clients, I’ve had to necessarily pull back from freelance work to make room for my own writing projects.
BUT . . .
I hate saying no to writers who want to hire me, so I’ve come up with what I hope is a way to help as many as I can while still making progress on my own work.
Introducing Personal Coaching!
HOW IT WORKS:
- You send me your first 10 pages.
- I read and edit them.
- We have a phone or in-person coaching consultation for up to 30 minutes, during which we’ll go over your pages’ strengths and weaknesses, and specifically how you can improve your work.
- OR: You schedule a consultation, and we discuss your current project, industry questions, or creativity blocks.
- I have been editing professionally for over 15 years, for Precision Editing Group, Eschler Editing, and as a freelancer editor. I’ve worked with Shadow Mountain and other publishers, and have worked on books by many award-winning and bestselling authors, including James Dashner, Chad Morris, J. Scott Savage, Sarah M. Eden, Heather B. Moore, Josi S. Kilpack, Michele Paige Holmes, Sheri Dew, Janette Rallison, Amanda Dickson, and many more.
- I am a USA Today bestselling author, Whitney Award winner, and 5-time Best of State medalist for fiction in Utah. I’ve received many publication awards from the League of Utah Writers, including the Silver Quill.
- I’ve published over a dozen novels, over 120 articles, a couple dozen novellas, a cookbook, a grammar guide, and more. I’m a regular contributor to the Timeless Romance Anthology series (which I edited for two and a half years), and one of the co-authors of the Newport Ladies Book Club Series.
- I have a BA in English from Brigham Young University, where I graduated cum laude.
HOW TO GET YOUR CONSULTATION
- Format the first 10 pages of your manuscript, being sure to follow the formatting guidelines below. Failure to do so will slow down the process and possibly put you in a later spot, and it could give you an inaccurate idea about how much of your work will be reviewed.
- Preparing your email:
- Subject line: CONSULTATION–YOUR TITLE
- Check the appointment AVAILABILITY CALENDAR HERE. Then, in the body of your email, list your 3 top choices for your consultation time (#1 being the most preferred).
- Attach your formatted pages in a .doc or .docx file
- Optional: provide any information about your book and/or where you are in your publishing journey that you think would be helpful for me to know.
- Send to annette (at) annettelyon (dot) com
- Wait to receive an invoice through PayPal, typically no more than 48 hours.
- After the invoice is paid in full (payable with or without a PayPal account), I will contact you to finalize your consultation time.
- I will read, edit, and notate your pages.
- When your appointment arrives, we will review your pages and my notes. Your consultation will last 15 to 30 minutes.
- After your appointment, you will receive the annotated pages via email.
Introductory Pricing: $35
As I launch this service, I’m guessing at how much time each consultation will take me. Chances are good that between reading, editing, and consulting, the time investment per client may require more than anticipated, in which case, the price will have to go up.
For now, I’m estimating low.
That’s good news for you: book your spot soon, and you’ll get a deal that likely won’t be available at that price ever again.
FORMATTING YOUR PAGES
- Use a standard 12-point font (Times New Roman is preferred. NO Courier.)
- 1-inch margins
- Header with your name and title on every page written as TITLE/Author
- Page numbers (as part of the header or in the footer, centered)
- Contact information on the first page (name, email address, phone number)
The Fine Print:
- Clients may cancel and reschedule their consultation with at least 24 hours’ notice.
- Clients may cancel and reschedule their appointment ONE time.
- After a second cancellation, clients will still receive their edited and annotated pages but will have forfeited their consultation time.
- If, due to emergency or circumstances beyond Annette’s control, she must reschedule, the change does not count toward the client’s chance to reschedule one time.
- Clients understand that while literary coaching and editing are professional skills, no coach or editor can guarantee publication or sales based on their work and/or advice. Therefore, no consultation, editing, annotation, etc. done by Annette Lyon implies future publication or success for the author or the work.
- The consultation fee is nonrefundable.